How do I transfer data and switch to a new Android device?
Have a new phone you want to use with Q Link Wireless? It’s easy to transfer your data to a new Android device from your old Android or iPhone.
- How to back up your data.
- How to switch from an old Android device.
- How to switch from an old iPhone device.
Before you begin, please do the following to ensure an easy and smooth transfer:
- Charge both new and current devices.
- Unlock the old device with your PIN, password, or selected pattern.
- Sign in with your Google Account on your old device, or create a new Google Account.
- Make sure you have a strong Wi-Fi connection.
Make sure that all of your data on your old phone is backed up to Google Drive before you switch to your new Android. Google makes this easy because your contacts, texts, and settings are all automatically backed up, allowing you to restore data to your new phone just by logging into your Google account when you set it up.
Your backed-up data doesn’t count toward your free Google Drive storage, so you won’t run out of storage or have to pay to back up your data.
How to back up your data:
- Open Settings from the Quick Settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom, and select the “System” menu.
- Tap “Backup”.
- Slide the toggle for “Back up to Google Drive” to set it to “On”.
- Select “Back up now” to back up your latest data to Google Drive.
- Go to contacts.google.com to make sure all your contacts are in your Google account.
How to switch from an old Android device?
Once your new phone is unboxed and ready for setting up, it’s easy to restore data from your older device! All you need is your old phone, so make sure you don’t reset the data on it until you’re ready to transfer to your new device.
Also, before you begin, you can now switch the SIM Card over to your new phone. Once you have done that, let’s start:
- Turn on your new phone and select your desired language.
- Tap “Start” on the welcome page.
- Connect to a strong and reliable Wi-Fi network.
- Select “Next” on the “Copy apps & data” page.
- Then, on the “Bring your data from…” page, tap “A backup from an Android phone”.
- Select “Next” on the following two pages to begin transferring data.
- If a page opens up that asks to “Verify your phone”, stay on this page and get your old phone. Do the following on your old phone:
- Open the “Settings” app.
- Select the “Google” menu.
- Tap “Set up & Restore”.
- Select “Set up nearby device”.
- Select “Next” on the “Getting started” page.
- Make sure your phone is now searching for a nearby device. Then verify the patterns and numbers on both devices match and select “Next” to continue.
- Tap “Next” to confirm.
- Select “Copy” on the “Copy to your new device?” page.
- Once you see a “Copying your account” progress bar, switch back to your new phone.
- Back on your new device, sign in to your Google account.
- Confirm the screen lock PIN or password of your old phone to allow the data transfer.
- The next page is called “Choose what to restore” and here you can select if you want everything transferred. If you do, leave all the settings alone and select “Restore”.
Can I switch from an iPhone to an Android?
Yes, you can! It’s super easy to transfer your data from an iPhone to your new Android device. Here’s what you need to do:
- Download Google Drive on your iPhone. Make sure you have the latest version of the Google Drive app on your iPhone, and then sign into the app with your Google Account. If you don’t have a Google Account, you can create one for free.
- Back up your data in Google Drive. Select the Settings in the Google Drive app, then select “Backup”. You can choose certain things to back up or select it all.
- Turn off iMessage on your iPhone. Go to your iPhone’s settings and turn off iMessage and FaceTime.
- Turn on your new Android and sign in. When you set up your new Android, you’ll need to sign into the same Google Account you used during the iPhone backup. Your data will automatically transfer.
Was this helpful?
Select your topic below: